Monday, July 14, 2008

Doctors & Friends

Recently my husband Kyle went to the doctor for a visit. He had a fungal infection in his toe (he probably doesn't want me to tell you this). He banged his toe pretty good a couple of years ago and has been susceptible to infections ever since. A good soak in Epsom Salt helps. Anyway, the doctor gave him an antibiotic for the toe. Then, he's been battling tendonitis in his hands for a number of years. The doctor wanted to X-ray his hands and do blood work to make sure that he didn't have rheumatoid arthritis. Kyle's grandmother had that. Then he also had patches of psoriasis and got a steroid cream for that. They also wanted to check his blood work to see that he didn't have psoriatic arthritis. Then recently he has had back pain. Turns out he has kidney stones. They did a CT scan on him and checked on those.

The doctor noted on how he had 4 things wrong with him. The doctor joked that I might want to look into upgrading to a newer model. When Kyle told me about his doctor appointments I said, "You're falling apart on me and you aren't even 40!" Kyle's work buddy reminded me that I won't be upgrading from a minivan to a ferarri. It will just be a newer model minivan.

Now, after all this we go visit my sister. She's recently divorced and has entered the dating scene. She was telling Kyle and I all sorts of storied about the guys she has met. She even discusses it on her blog. Anyway, after this, I go home and start both a facebook and myspace page and this blog. I've connected with my family and some old friends from school and church back home in Indiana.

Kyle comments that I've seen how much fun my sister is having with the singles scene, that I have begun cruising for my upgrade. I assure him that I am only connecting with old friends. I feel that I have work acquaintances but no real friends. I consider Shelley to be my best friend, but we can go months without talking to each other just because our schedules are so busy. One will call the other and then we'll realize how long its been since the last conversation or get together. I have friends or acquaintances at church, but no one that we really get together with outside of church activities.

I miss having a group of buddies, of having a confidant, of being part of a group. I want what my parents had when I was growing up. They had friends that they would get together with for birthday dinners, Halloween parties, double dates, etc. I'm ready to graduate to adulthood friends.

4 comments:

  1. hello, this is ann bradt (filbert) just wanted to let you know that I like your blog found it from emma's blog. come over and check out mine anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the good thing about true friends...you don't have to talk everyday. you can go several days, weeks, or even months before you get together again. Then when you do, you can pick up right where you left off. But i totally get how you want parties!!!! Me too!!!!
    In our neighborhood we started a BUNKO group once a month. and we also have a recipe club that meets once a month. Fun times!!! I have also heard of people that have started "dinner groups" in their neighborhood. Get 2 0r 3 couples, which are the "Standard couples". Each month it is a couple's turn to host it - whether they have it at their house or choose a restaurant. But all couples can invite other couples to join them. Fun. I say go for it! make your party happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you upgrade to adulthood friends. No one is going to understand your jokes.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Brook. Man, I wish I was there to party with you. If you do make up some party club or something let me know how it goes and what you guys do. I wanted to start a recipe club where everyone has to bring something they've never made before but I don't want to start something that would fail. Well anyway. Back to you. Have you thought about hosting a halloween party like mom used to have? With your pranking backgroud, I'd imagine you'd be really good at that.

    ReplyDelete