Monday, June 20, 2011

Camping

I like to camp.  I like planning out the meals, making lists of what to pack, and the beautiful scenery.  Well, this past weekend another family (Mitch & Jen) and we decided that we wanted to go camping.  Of course, it being Father's Day weekend almost all campsites were full, or at least that is what it showed online.  But some campgrounds you couldn't book online, only had a phone number, and some just an address.

We decided to take our chances and drove south.  We came to the beautiful, small town of Spring City.  We drove out to the mountains to the east.  We did find an official campground (maybe we didn't drive far enough up the mountain) but we found several cut outs along the road with firepits.  We chose one and set up camp.  We were losing daylight because we had gotten a late start (which kind of made me grumpy because I hate to be late).  We had a nice dinner of hamburgers, hot dogs, chips and of course, S'mores.  Oh, and we roasted Starburst too, that is a kid favorite (but I don't know where they learned it).

For breakfast I had brought some Dutch Ovens.  I made a breakfast casserole of potatoes, onion, peppers, bacon, eggs and cheese.  I also made some Monkey Bread or Cinnamon-Pull-Aparts.  They were good except I put too many in the DO and the sugary topping burned. 

We were near a river and had the rushing water sound, it was lovely.  The only thing I didn't like is that there were no bathrooms.  We were really roughing it.  We packed out all of our trash, I even found numerous cans (beer & soda) to recycle.  Another person's trash is my treasure.

After we tore down camp we did a little sight-seeing in Spring City.  Mitch knew a family from a former ward that had moved there.  She and her husband had been renovating an old theater.  We got the grand tour of that and her house.  It was awesome.  We also stopped in at a couple of art galleries/studios.  Mitch teaches art at a Junior High.

Then we headed home.  We stopped in Mount Pleasant for some pizza for lunch, it was the best.  Oh, Mount Pleasant has a working drive-in theater.  We thought that maybe next weekend we could drive down for that, they are showing Kung Fu Panda 2.

4 comments:

  1. sounds awesome! did you dig a whole and lash a toilet seat? that's what i would have done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm... no toilets?!?! No.En.No.

    Glad you had fun camping tho :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only roughed it like that once and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I like camping too. I still remember camping with your family years ago. You were always the first person up and the last one to sleep. You also kept us well fed and entertained. I'd go camping with you anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aside from setting up tents, packing/unpacking, and bugs, i love camping! Mmmmm.... i LOVE roasted starburst. I first had a roasted starburst when i was 7 years old. YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete