Saturday, August 31, 2013

Zac's Mission

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 we took my oldest child to the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah.  He will be serving a 2 year mission in Tokyo, Japan for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.



We slept in, got cleaned up, finished the final packing and then headed off for a nice lunch together.  We went to Sizzler because missionaries eat free there on Wednesdays.



I was fine, no tears shed, no nervousness or anxiety.  We drove up to the MTC and there were a lot of cars, families, and missionaries.  We were directed to a spot at the curb to unload our missionary and his bags.  Just as we come up to the curb I start to get teary-eyed.  I start crying when I open my car door.  There is a host missionary to greet us and he comments to me that it is natural to cry (duh).  I turn to Zac who had just gotten out of the minivan and I say, "I'm already crying and I haven't even hugged you yet."  We hug, all of us are now out of the minivan giving Zac hugs and helping to get the luggage out.




I knew that the MTC changed their system to curbside drop off.  Before (back in the olden days) they had the MTC President and his wife speak, there was a video/slideshow about missionaries, everyone stood to sing "Called to Serve" then time was given to hug and say goodbye.  Finally it was missionaries through this door and family/friends through that door.  That's how it was when I took my 2 brothers and 1 sister to the MTC.



I was worried with the new system that I would feel rushed and not able to give a proper good-bye.  Our hosts were relaxed and patient while we took some pictures.  They chit-chatted a bit about how long they have been in the MTC and where they are going on their mission.  Then is was, "Alright, are you ready Elder?" and off they went.



A few more tears shed as we drove away, but I've been fine.  Kyle and I both sent emails to Zac but we have yet to hear from him.  If you'd like to email him... phillips.zachary@myldsmail.net

No comments:

Post a Comment