Saturday, September 20, 2008

Hype, Fads and Crazes

I find it interesting that I will choose to do or not do something just because other people are doing it.

Take for example, the Harry Potter Books and movies. Usually everyone I meet has strong feelings about this. Most people like the books, and have been on waiting lists to receive them. They've eagerly waited and anticipated the next edition. Then there are those who are totally against it because it teaches black magic, witchcraft, etc. I simply haven't read it because I'm not interested and because of all the hype surrounding it.

On the other hand, the Twilight book series or saga. All the girls in my ward, and many adults are completely ga-ga over these books. They check out the website, they have read each book multiple times in anticipation of the next edition in the series. These people can't wait for the movie to come out in December. Now, I have read these books. I haven't read the fourth book (I'm waiting for the fervor to die down so I can check it out at the library). I have read Twilight and New Moon twice (I own these two). I've read Eclipse. I've checked out Midnight Sun on www.stepheniemeyer.com. I have checked out the trailer on imdb.com and am anticipating the movies. But I'm not crazed over it. I've tried to ignore the hype so I can enjoy the series. I am a fan, and would recommend it to my friends and family, but I don't think I am ga-ga over it.

What is it about books, movies, actors, rockstars that make people lose control, lose their minds. I am not one to stand in line for 3 days just to get a ticket for something. Is it patience I possess? Or is it just a lack of determination. Maybe I'm just lazy and don't want to put forth the effort into being a superfan of something. I guess my motto is "all in good time"

I remember seeing footage for a crowd of people waiting to catch a glimpse at the Beatles, or Elvis. The women and girls are screaming, shouting, crying, and crying so hard they make themselves sick. I've seen the same thing on American Idol. They scan the audience, you see one girl in tears (the song is not even a heart-breaking, sad song) and she is about to pass out or something.

Whatever.

So, I need to think, is there anything that is a fad or craze, or something so hyped up that I just gotta have, see, hear, touch, etc.? How's about you?

5 comments:

  1. i was talking to derek about this the other day. i can't think of anything that i would be that crazy for. i won't go to midnight showings of movies just so i can be first to see them. i don't even mind having a book or movie "ruined" for me. i guess i'm just not passionate enough about anything, as far as media goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family loves the Harry Potter series. The author makes it feel like you are right there beside the characters not just reading about them. I read the first book because Marie wanted to read it and I had heard it was about witch craft and wanted to do the parent preview. When the last 2 came out we were fighting over who would read it first. Each of us finished the book in 1-2 days. But then that gives us something to discuss. So I guess it depends on the author and/or actors that have proven to provide us with quality entertainment that we keep up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am obsessed with John Mayer. But I don't have to have EVERY album of his...well at least not as soon as it hits the stands. I LOVE Matt Damon, but have not seen ALL of his movies. i really don't get into the whole fantasy thing. So, I have not read ANY of the Harry Potter or Twilight books, have not seen ANY of the Lord of the Rings movies, Harry Potter movies, etc. I did however watch Star Wars episode 1...

    I need romantic comedy or romance (not smut) to keep me interested in books. and movies...well, i like all kinds...

    I do try to keep up on other fads and crazes,like clothes (modest of course) or hairstyles. I mean, I know I am not the most hip and trendy, but if I see something I like...well...i just don't want to look like i am stuck in the 80's! hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tony and our friend camped out overnight once to be the first in line for some Ritter's frozen custard on their season opening. They won a bunch of custard. I think I would only stand in line or go crazy like that if food was involved. I mean like for an amish dinner I will plan what I eat for two days so I can stuff myself when I'm there. If I had to wait in line or not get any, I'd be camping out for sure. But as far as books, movies, or a star, I agree that I'm just too lazy to care, and I'd rather wait till it comes out cheaper or is easier to get. For example, the wii, I could camp out to win it but I'll just be patient and wait.
    As far as avoiding things because others are freaks about it. I don't really care. It does bother me though when people are like, What you don't read this, or have that, or watch that. Leave me alone, I'm not into it. It's not the end of the world if I still haven't seen Mama Mia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. by the way - i hae an award for you over at my blog!!! come and get it!

    ReplyDelete