Saturday, September 17, 2011

Bacon Birthday Party

For Zac's 18th birthday party it was all about bacon.  As a gift we got a t-shirt with a pig on it titled Baconfreak.  I got it from www.baconfreak.com.  They also have bacon themed gifts and foods. I got some gummy bacon strips that were strawberry flavored.  It went well with the gummy eggs I bought at Essenhaus.


I bought Cheddar & Bacon Kraft Easy Cheese and I made a bacon cheddar dip that I got from Sam's Club.  These were great with crackers.


I made cheddar and bacon biscuits and displayed them in a bacon basket that I made.  Zac especially liked the bacon basket.  I placed a Pyrex glass bowl inverted on a plate lined with paper towels to catch the grease.  Then I wove bacon over the bowl until covered.  I placed that in the microwave for 4 minutes, checked it, 2 more minutes, checked it, then another 2 minutes.  I pulled it out and set it aside to cool and harden.  Then I placed another plate on top and turned the whole thing over, over the sink.  The bowl was easy to slide out.


The main course was grilled bacon wrapped scallops, bacon wrapped chicken, and bacon wrapped jalapeno chicken.


I also made Pull-Apart Bacon Bread.  This was really good, even Kyle liked them and he is not a fan of Ranch dressing. Here is the recipe:

12 bacon strips, cooked and diced or use 1 package of Oscar Meyer Real Bacon Bits
24 thawed Rhodes Rolls bread dough
2 Tbsp. olive or vegetable oil.
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1 envelope (1 oz.) ranch salad dressing mix


In a bowl mix together bacon bits, mozzarella, and ranch mix.  Pour oil into another bowl.  Roll bread dough in oil then in the coating.  Arrange dough in a ring about 2 layers high on a greased baking sheet or in a dutch oven.  Let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.  Bake for 30 minutes.



The birthday cake was just a spice cake and I mixed some bacon bits into the batter.  I coated the cake with maple flavored frosting.  I made some bacon 'roses' to hold the candles.


One of his guests gave him bacon flavored toothpaste and that guest was wearing a shirt that said Bacon Strips, Bacon Strips.

The activity for the night was just Xbox video games.  All boys, munching bacon, yelling, whooping and hollering as they played.  My sister Emma and her kids were there.  We adults hung out in the kitchen told stories, gossiped and laughed.

2 comments:

  1. Bacon!!! the cake was good. I always dip my bacon in my pancake syrup. That's what this reminded me of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. vey memorable, sounds like you had a fun time.

    ReplyDelete