Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pumpkin Party

So I had a party where all the food was pumpkin related. All the pumpkins that I used for cooking and decorations came from my own garden. We had pumpkin activities. We carved pumpkins. (Some brought their own pumpkins to carve, but I had plenty of extra) We decorated sugar cookies that were pumpkin shaped. I had candy corn (some of them were pumpkin shaped) and other pumpkin cookie toppings.

Appetizers. Sweet Pumpkin Dip served with Nilla Wafers, Graham Cracker Sticks and Ginger Snaps to dip into it. Then there was a Savory Pumpkin Dip, and with that we used carrot sticks, celery sticks, Triscuits, Ritz and Wheatables to dip into it. There were Pumpkin Seeds to snack on, too.

Meal. There was a Pumpkin Soup topped with grated Swiss cheese and chives. Pumpkin Au Gratin, which was surpringly not too bad. The pumpkin slices were nice and soft. Then there was a Stuffed Pumpkin. It was stuffed with a rice and sausage mixture. This was a big hit. It had lots of flavor due to spices and herbs. I would definitely make this again.

Dessert was a Pumpkin Cake Roll. Kyle commented that I pulled this party off without a single pumpkin pie. Now, I love pumpkin pie, but I wanted to showcase what else pumpkin can do.

Decorations were a combination of fall harvest, Thanksgiving and Halloween Jack-O-Lanterns. On the invitations I told people that if they aren't too keen on pumpkin that they might want to eat before they come. I didn't expect everyone to like any of it, just to sample and try it. It was such a hit, I may do it again next year. The question is, do I keep it to pumpkins, or do I move onto another food item?

4 comments:

  1. first of all, that is funny about kyle mentioning the pie. when i was on the way home - i was thinking, "oh yeah - we didn't even have pie". but then that would have been predictable. I think you should do it every year - and keep it with pumpkins. make it a tradition! whoo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a fun idea. But since I wasn't invi.....

    Hope you had a fun time. Are those pictures from the things you made or magazines?

    Looks good. Hey! I am suppose to ask if you wore a pumpkin suit. My co-worker wants to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't find my cable to be able to download the pictures I took. So these pictures are from the web. No I did not wear a pumpkin suit, though I think I do have a Jack-O-lantern costume (or I used to, I would wear it for Halloween when pregnant) I did however, wear orange.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had that pumkin soup its really good, I did'nt think I would like it but YUM!!!!

    ReplyDelete