Thursday, February 19, 2009

Baptism

Cooper just turned 8 last Saturday and will be getting baptized next Saturday. Somehow I feel like, "This little kid is ready to get baptized? Does he know enough about the Gospel? Is he old enough to choose between right and wrong?" But then he goes and surprises me. Kyle and I were able to sit in on his Bishop's interview. He had very good answers and he didn't need much prodding. Then the missionaries came over to talk with Cooper. Again, very good, insightful answers. I was surprised that he knew that much. I commend his Primary teachers.

Now during both the Bishop's interview and the discussion with the missionaries they made comments about how much Cooper knew, and how impressed they were. They commented that they can tell that we have Family Home Evening, or that his mother is teaching him well. I blush and avert my eyes at these comments, because we haven't been doing well and having FHE regularly. Or scripture reading and family prayer for that matter. So, while I'm having a guilt trip, my mind also reflects on my patriarchal blessing. It makes a statement about my children being able to preach the gospel and serve Christ and that it will be through my teachings and faithfulness. Another guilt trip. I need to get on the ball.


How can my children live up to their potential spiritually if I'm not guiding, directing, teaching and preparing them?

3 comments:

  1. nice. sounds like you are in the same boat as i am. we seriously need to get serious about fhe and daily scripture study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you're talking about. It seems like when everything is out of control I think 'what am I not doing right here?'. Those are usually the answers, FHE, scripture reading, and family prayer. It's so easy to get lax on those things. But things are always so much better when you're on track. So why when we have a testimony of these things and we know that they are for our good do we sometimes forget? I guess because we're human. But it does seem that we get those little guilt trips right when we need them. And it's good that you didn't harden your heart and try to defend yourself but that you saw the truth and you feel stirred in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember "kidnapping" the children and then on our way to the museum or camping, etc. we "talked" about things.Sometimes spiritual, sometimes temporal.

    I also remember having Family Home Minutes...those little "talks" while doing dishes or running to the store.

    These are the extras that count. We live our religion and though it is important to try to have prayer and FHE, it is also important to keep the gospel in the forefront of our minds.

    I am also glad/thankful for a guilty conscious. It help to get me back on the right track.

    Hang in there and keep trying.
    I have wonderful grandchildren and I am so glad you are their parents.

    Oh, and I have great kids too!

    ReplyDelete