Sunday, March 1, 2009

Luncheon

So after Cooper's baptism I had a luncheon at the house. It was literally a full house of family, friends and neighbors. We were eating, talking and having a good time. Kids were in and out playing. Kyle and his buddy went for a drive in the El Camino.

Then, there's a knock on the door. I assumed it was one of the kids not wanting to just barge in the house. I was wrong. It was a guy going door-to-door trying to sell magazines for his education and if he got so many points he could win a trip to the Bahamas.

Now, I should have said, "I'm sorry, I've got a house full of company, I'll pass, thanks" and shut the door. But instead I let him give his spiel for a bit, then he wanted to know if he could just use a corner of a table to fill something out. I haven't agreed to any magazines, but, I let him in. I know, dumb. This "dude" is all dressed in black, leather, and studs. (I know, the real educational type, huh?) So while he is filling out his paper, Kyle and Johnny come home. I point out to this guy that there's my husband. He looks up and asks which one. Now Kyle is of average height 5'10, but Johnny is 6'4". I wonder if this guy was getting nervous. So Kyle tells him we aren't interested. The "dude" says, "Well your wife was interested." Kyle again says No.

So the guy turns to walk out. I thought I heard him saying "sheesh" as he left. Once out the door, my friend Shelley who was sitting by the door comments, "It's probably best to be sure you are out of the house before you all the owner a douchebag."

Again, why didn't I turn this guy away the first moment I saw him? I'm pretty good about shutting down the phone solicitors. But what is it about the door-to-door people? Is it because you are seeing them face-to-face? Not just a voice on a phone? Is it because I used to do door-to-door sales and I know how hard it is?

I dunno, but what I do know is that I'm getting a "No Solicitors" sign to put by the front door.

5 comments:

  1. good idea. i think i need one of those signs too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never find it hard to say no to them, but I also let them give their spiel and I waste their time politely listening even though I know I'm not going to buy anything. But what I want to know is what you served at your luncheon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the inclination is to be nice. But remember, they can knock but you don't have to answer. I have no problem saying no. However, I have this husband who invited these 2 nice guys in to sell DVD's...and now we get church type videos. I don't mind it. I like movies and I like the church history and prophets. So just be careful and have that NO ready when you first size them up. And DO NOT let them in your home. Big BOO BOO. Unless you have a house full of guests. Good Move.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had bbq pork and an assortment of pies (coconut cream, lemon meringue and apple)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i bet he didn't even know what a douche (sp?) is. i look through my peep hole and if it looks like a sales person i dont even answer it. my friend says her problem is the kids will answer the phone or door all the time and then call her out to speak with said sales person. my rule for my kids has always been that they dont answer the phone unless it's their friend or family calling (verified by caller i.d.) and they are not allowed to answer the door unless i say so. But i have been thinking about getting a "no solicitation" myself...just to avoid having to deal with the dog barking because someone was knocking at the door.

    ReplyDelete