Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Modern Day Female Job

We all have our trials and tribulations, our ups and downs. Sometimes as we go through a hardship we may think, "I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy." It is thought that the Lord won't give us more than we can bear. Though, I know that at times we feel like it is more than we can bear.

Witnessing the recent trials that a friend of mine has been subjected to, I just worry about how much she can bear. She just seems to have the worst luck some days. Just as she is seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, she gets another obstacle placed in her way. I begin to think, "Is the Lord testing her faith, or is Satan out to get her? He may be out to get her since she's been trying to get her life on the right track. There has been hardship for her in finding a job, a place to live, health issues and getting to church. I also worry that she doesn't have the support she needs. She is a single mother and doesn't have extended family out here.

Kyle and I discussed her hardships. I worried that these hardships would put her into despair. That she would lose faith. But Kyle pointed out that these same hardships could also help her to turn to the Lord--to ask for help and guidance. Which in this case, he was right.

I discussed all of this with her. She said that yes, she had run through the "Why me?" and "When will this end?" and "What more can go wrong?". But she has also seen the Lord's hand in getting out of these hardships. It's true that when one door closes, another door of opportunity opens. She has been able to track down her church records. She has found a job. And as of yesterday, she was able to find a better place to live that takes pets. She also appreciates the friendship and support that my family has given to her.

I don't know if asking the 'why', 'when' and 'what' questions is murmuring, but she hasn't lost her faith. I think that she is like Job of the Bible, except that she is a female and set in the modern day.

3 comments:

  1. the why-me's are never helpful. it's good that she's turning to the right way instead of the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad things are starting to work out for her. She sounds like a strong person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. she may not have family but she has a friend in her corner.

    ReplyDelete