Saturday, February 14, 2009

Mental-Emotional Preparedness

I am going to school to get a teaching degree to be a Special Education Teacher. One reason is that I've been an aide for 12 years and just felt it was time to get the degree to have my own class. But, my main driving force is the money. I know, I know, teachers don't get paid much, but they make twice as much as what I do now.

My oldest is 15 years old. In 3-4 years I'm looking at a son who will be going to college and a mission. I do not have the money to support him in this. So, with a degree and higher paying job I will be able to help support my child in these endeavors. I just need to graduate college before he graduates high school. So I am mentally and maybe even emotionally prepared for the mission and college thing.

BUT, my oldest turns 16 in September. YIKES! I am not mentally and emotionally prepared for driving and dating! I am not that old to have a child doing these things! Where has the time gone? Funny how I am ready for things in 3-4 years, but not this year.

Meanwhile, I have a son turning 8 years old today and will be getting baptized at the end of the month. It was just yesterday (8 years ago) that my oldest was getting baptized. I remember telling my friend Brandon at the time that I'm not old enough to have a kid getting baptized. Of course, Brandon retorts that he can't believe I have a son worthy enough to get baptized. (see, Brandon knew me in my wild days, I guess he thought my sinning ways would have rubbed off onto my children)

So, there you have it. I'm old.

4 comments:

  1. beats me how you can be so old and I still be so young. hahahaha

    See you in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't believe i have a nephew who will be driving and dating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am relieved each time the "friend-girl" reveals to me that she has not kissed MY son yet. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm where you used to be. Koen will be turning 8 next year and I can't believe I'm old enough to have a kid that old either. But I also can't believe you will have a 16 yr. old. Luckily he's a good kid and I'm sure he'll handle the driving and girl things responsibly.

    ReplyDelete