Thursday, January 29, 2009

What the...?

Ok, I understand that I work with Special Ed. students. These kids are 2-3 grade levels below their grade. They have learning disabilities, behavior problems and physical problems that hinder their learning. Having said that, I am often surprised how "stupid" they are. They just say and do stuff that frustrates me and the teacher I work for. Now, I'm not saying that they are stupid because they are special ed. it's just their lack of attention, listening and following instruction skills. Here are some examples.

(names have been changed for privacy and protection)

During Guided Reading Group
Me: Janey, follow along.
Janey: I am. Wait, where are we?
I hate this. First they counter my correction by whining that they are doing whatever I say they aren't doing, then give themselves away with the follow up question.

During Silent Reading Time, or Silent Writing Time
Me: Janey, stop talking.
Janey: I'm not.
What bothers me about this is that I know their voices and can usually tell who's talking. If I can't tell, I'll watch for a bit before giving the instruction. So, I see Janey talking to her neighbor. I tell her to stop. She claims that she's not talking. I give her the look. She turns as if she is going back to the task at hand, and then begins to talk to her neighbor about mean ol'
Mrs. Phillips. So, now she's talking after being specifically told not to.

Instructions for any particular task.
I explain writing assignment. As soon as I finish explaining, Janey asks;
Janey: What do we write about?
AAaarrghhh!!!! What did I just spend the last 5 minutes doing?

I also hate that when I begin to exlpain instructions, I get barraged with questions. If they would just wait until I finish the instruction or explanation I would answer all of their questions. And they don't listen to each other's questions so I end up answering the same question about 3-5 times.

Somedays my teacher and I just look at each other, shake our heads and throw our hands up.

5 comments:

  1. You should video tape them and then show them what they are doing. I bet it would be a real eye opener.

    ReplyDelete
  2. all kids are stupid, and not just kids either. I know somw adults that do the very same things. Annoying isn't it.

    With that said, I must admit that my mind has wandered while someone was explaining something and I had to stop and wonder what all I had missed. But I was too embarrased to ask, so until an answer was expected I was in the clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the people I work with. I don't consider most of them to be stupid by a long shot. I think what you are encountering are auto reflexes by people who leave their actions unexamined. Until they are taught to examine their actions, and their thoughts even, they will likely grow into adults with those same bad "social" habits. I am contantly telling my children the proper way to disagree with me, to argue with me, when to make excuses for themselves, and when not too. When to ask questions, when to be quiet. And so on... Infinity..... :|

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete