Monday, April 20, 2009

Burns

So Saturday I was mowing the lawn. I did the front yard, then moved my way to the backyard. Then I began doing the very back of the yard. There was a lot of tall grass. I kept a look out for rocks and such hidden in the tall grass. But, sure enough Kchink!! the mower stopped.

I turned off the mower and put it on its side so that I could see if a rock or stick was caught in the blade. Now, I'm not that stupid to put my hand in where the blade is unless I'm totally sure that the mower is off. But I am stupid enough to burn my fingertips on the hot muffler of the lawnmower motor. Check out the picture.

While the mower was on its side it started to tip away from me and I wasn't done looking. I also wasn't looking where I put my hand to steady the mower. YEOWW!!!

I went running off into the house to put my fingers under cold water. I ran past Kyle. He knew that I had been mowing the lawn then sees me running into the house holding my hand. He thought, "Dear Lord, she's cut off her hand." He comes in after me, then sees that I only burned myself. I think he was relieved that we would not be making a trip to the emergency room that day. He was also glad that he didn't have the gruesome task of looking for my bloody fingertips in the grass to put in a baggie of ice for re-attachment later at the hospital.

I did have to keep my fingers on ice for several hours before the pain would go away. Then I put on some antibiotic cream and aloe gel then covered with brightly colored Band-aids (that's all we had). Later that night Kyle went to the store and bought me some brown finger-tip Band-aids so I wouldn't stand out at church on Sunday. (I lead the music for Sacrament. I also happened to be subbing for the choir director and the Relief Society chorister that day).

I found the brown Band-aids to be cumbersome and went back to the multi-colored ones for work today. Everybody asked what happened. I showed the boys the blisters. They were thoroughly grossed out.

I wonder if I will have fingerprints after the blisters are gone.

3 comments:

  1. oooh, if you have no fingerprints you could get away with crimes without needing to wear gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can also do more outrageous pranks now, because they'll never link you to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. um... first of all, ouch! second of all... ya, i am still grossed out. thanks! ;)

    ReplyDelete