Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Comebacks in Song Form

So, like movie quotes, where someone makes a comment then I come back with a line from a movie, I sometimes do the same with songs.

I'll have a student tell me that I am crazy. So I start singing, "Crazy, I'm crazy for feeling so lonely." by Patsy Cline

A student or one of my children will say that they don't want that. I come back with "You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometimes, you might find, you get what you need." by the Rolling Stones.

As we are leaving, of course we have to sing the Goodbye song from the Sound of Music. "So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, good-bye."

Or when looking for somebody I'll sing from Pink Floyd, "Hello, Hello, Hello, is there anybody out there?" or I'll substitute "in there".

Just the other day a student was walking away from the group and the teacher called out, "Hey, turn around." So of course I start singing, "Turn around, every now and then I get a little..." from Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart. This got the teacher laughing, she said that was the first song she ever sang karaoke to.

Yesterday Chloe asked me, "Mom, what day is it?" So of course I had to answer with"What day is it would you please tell me, what day is it I'm confused you see.." which is a Space Ghost song sung by Brak.

Most of the time the songs are popular ones that people recognize. But depending on my audience, the reference is too old for them, or just too obscure for them. Some songs are more of the inside joke kind.

Oh, well. It's just funny. Going back to the term 'crazy', instead of singing Patsy Cline, I could sing Aerosmith, Gnarls Barkley or Britney Spears. They each have a song titled crazy.

Do you ever answer people in song form?

3 comments:

  1. I "Sing, Sing a song, Make it simple to last the whole day long..." from the muppets

    ReplyDelete
  2. whenever anyone starts a sentence with "when i think" i imediately think of "when i think of the time gone by, when i think of the way i cried..." from guys and dolls.

    ReplyDelete