Sunday, June 21, 2009

Movie Quotes

Today I caught The Princess Bride on the Family Channel. Even though this is a movie I have on VHS, I stopped to watch it on TV. I was quoting right along with the movie in a few of my favorite parts. Cooper and Chloe kept looking at me like, "How do you know this?" and the older boys were more concerned about when this movie was made. Some favorites are as follows, "Mahwage, is what bwings us hewe togefer today." "I'm not a witch, I'm your wife." "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die."

So after this I channel surfed and there was another movie I just love, O, Brother Where Art Thou. Even though I own this movie on DVD and VHS and have the soundtrack, I paused to watch this. Again, I quoted along with the movie, here are some of my favorite, "Gopher Everett?" "That was a mighty fine a-pickin' and a-singin'" "I'm the paterfamilias" "Well ain't this place a geographical oddity, it's two weeks from anywhere" "The colorguard is colored? Who made them the colorguard?" "Cow Killer!"

I come from a family of TV and movie quoters. Some favorites that I remember were from Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Wayne's World and Tommy Boy. Even now, whenever Kyle is in the bathroom, I'll knock on the door, and when he asks "What?" I'll respond with "Housekeeping" and we quote the scene.

I like to say "Oh yeah?" with the accent they used in the movie Fargo among other lines. A line that I like but is lost on people comes from a Hayley Mills movie, In Search of the Castaways, "I be smart."

And if I'm not quoting the Simpson's or Seinfeld then I referencing them. I like a line from the Simpson's that comes from the character Jasper, "You shot who in the what now?".

5 comments:

  1. i dont know why, but i never really quoted the movie lines. i dont think i watched as many as you guys did or at least not the same one as many times. I remember a few quotes from the house of dires drear (sp?) and The Family Dog. But the rest...idk... i think my memory just wasn't as good. i find i quote more lines now. perhaps i just appreciate the humor more now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you could cross him and that's it. you could be walkin' down the street and next thing you know both your arms fall right off and then you'll say "aah, my arms" and that's when you know the old demon pluto done gotcha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over my head. I feel music in the air.

    or the other song

    A-a-amen, a-a-amen, a-amen, amen, amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though I do not quote movies and few recordings like Freburg, I find myself saying things at work like: Like Gen McArthur said, "I shall return". or "like Arnold Swartz...I'll be back". The patients usually smile. Or when they talk about going home they say things "you folks are nice but I want to go home" and I answer that "like Dorothy says There's no place like home".They nod in agreement.

    Even though I don't quote the movies I sometimes "get" the reference. So keep up the good work. "CU in the funnies...."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina you fat lard, eat the food!

    Do you think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it!

    You might as well be doing somethin' while you're doin nothin'.

    ReplyDelete