Wednesday, August 19, 2009

School Days

School starts today. Zac is at the high school this year as a 10th grader. His school starts at 7:55am. We apparently don't live far away enough for Zac to catch the bus so he needs to walk or catch a ride. I think the school is 1 1/2 miles away. I think I heard his alarm go off at 5:30 am. He was gone before 7am when I finally rolled out of bed.

Zane is at the junior high school as an 8th grader. His school starts at 8:oo am. He and a friend walk the 4 1/4 blocks to school. His friend showed up 1 minute before my alarm went off at 7am.
I don't know what the rush was other than they were going to eat breakfast at school. But still, it just seems awfully early to me.

Cooper is at the elementary school as a 3rd grader. His school starts at 8:30 am. He was already up when I got up. He was dressed and ready to go. I told him to get some breakfast. He said that he eats at the school. Well, I told him he can eat at home today since he still has 1 1/2 hours until school starts. That is plenty of time to eat. Last year he ate breakfast at the school because he would lolly-gaggle around and not finish in time before his friends would come to pick him up to walk to school. They have about 4 blocks to walk.

Chloe starts Kindergarten next week, she will walk to school with Cooper and then go to a friends house after class while the rest of us are at school or work. Then we will pick her up in the afternoon.

Apparently my kids are anxious to get to school. Is it because they have a thirst for knowledge? No, I think they are excited to see their friends.

The elementary school where I was working informed me Monday that they are not able to work around my BYU class schedule, so currently I am out of a job. I do have applications in at three other schools. Just waiting to hear back.

5 comments:

  1. are there friends really that great? perhaps it's just that they want out of the house! hahaha! and the whole bus thing is stupid! they calculate the miles "as the crow flies". Well, Sherlock, the "crow" flies across fields and over water. Not CHILDREN!!! HELLO! We carpooled with Keenan because in order to get to his Jr High, he had to awlk busy roads and try to make out of the busiest round-about alive. Plus, I'd like to see a teacher walk to school, with a full load of books, in the rain, sleet and snow...uphill...both ways... yadda yadda yadda. Suffice it to say. I am soooo glad that Keenan is now over at the HS this year. It is much closer. wont zac be driving soon anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He has not shown the interest in driving. Kyle and I think that is so weird. When we were teenagers it was all about driving at 16. He hasn't had any lessons, he hasn't asked about getting his permit, he's not signed up for any classes. Kyle is OK with not having another driver on our insurance. I just don't get it. But, looking at our neighborhood or ward, we have a lot of teenagers that don't have their license. I guess it's not the thing to do anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe after a few weeks their eagerness to go to school will lessen. Eades is always gung-ho for a few months then he gets tired. Last year Koen did not like school at all until him and CAROLINE became friends. Then he couldn't wait to go. Also, I'm surprised he doesn't want to drive too. Maybe the responsibility of a powerful machine isn't appetizing to kids anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe zac is planning on living in new york city and therefore won't need to drive. you know, when i was younger i didn't feel the need to get my license. i finally got it when i was about 17 1/2. i never took driver's ed either. is it required in utah?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad you did not know about the school not working with your schedule sooner, Good luck with finding a job.

    ReplyDelete