Thursday, October 15, 2009

Rainbow

I was walking to my car after class last night.  It had been rainy all day.  It was evening, the sun was casting that sweet light on the mountains.  As I was walking down the stairs I saw someone with a camera taking a picture.  I wondered what they were capturing, then I saw the rainbow over the mountain.  It was beautiful.  I thought about taking a picture too.  But, I only had my phone's camera and it takes crappy pictures and wouldn't do it justice.  I guess I felt that if I couldn't capture the beauty of it it wasn't worth it.

Another reason I didn't take out my phone to take a picture is because I didn't want anyone seeing me take a picture of the rainbow.  I could just hear their thoughts, "Geez, lady, you've never seen a rainbow?"  Then in my thoughts I answer back, "Yes, I've seen a rainbow many times, does that mean I don't ever need to look at a rainbow again?"

This rainbow was beautiful with the mountain as a backdrop.  I could see the whole arc.  Usually I just see one end of a rainbow.  Also, the violet was vibrant and each color was distinct.  Most rainbows I see are hazy and the violet is faint.

Anyway, I just liked the rainbow and wanted to share.  (is it crazy for me to have imaginary conversations in my head with strangers?)

4 comments:

  1. i have imaginary conversations with strangers in my head all the time! i hardly ever get to see rainbows out here in nevada. we don't get that much rain, but i did see one just the other day. i had to point it out to someone. now i want to buy some prisms and hang them in my window so that they can paint a rainbow right on my wall. (i watched pollyanna yesterday)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's okay to talk to strangers in your head. Especially when they need a talkin' to. I too wish I could take pictures that wouldn't take away from the beauty, but I'm afraid I'm non-photogenic and a non-photographer. It sure did sound pretty the way you described it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to see rainbows. Don't tell her that. Why not? She doesn't need to know how simple minded you are. I don't think it is simple minded to love the beauty in nature. Jeemaneez.... why don't you tell her you like to look at the stars at night, or the smell of baby lotion, or a song of a bird, or the clouds, or the smell of rain, etc. Infact, why don't you tell her you wear white underwear. Okay, Okay, I get it. Now get off my back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyle says Mom's inner Golem is coming out. (It's a Lord of the Rings reference, ask Ruth)

    ReplyDelete