Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Couples

You know the old saying, "There's a somebody for everyone." It must be true. Kyle and I were in Price, UT and heading into our hotel room. We happened to look across the street and see a couple. Both were obese, and both were riding those "rascal" scooters. I thought and said, "See, there's a someone for everyone."

This got me thinking about couples I know and ones that I just see around. Sometimes, at first glance I'll think that a certain pair just don't match. You know, you find yourself wondering, "How did they ever hook up?" or "What's a goober of a guy like that doing with a girl like her?"

One guy I know had gone through a divorce and just seemed lost afterwards. Like he needed someone to tell him what to do. Then he met his wife (who I think is kind of bossy, but I still like her) and she seems to be just what he needs.

Another couple I know, she's kind of cuckoo and eccentric but great fun to be around, her husband while funny is the more stable of the two, the voice of reason. They balance each other out.

One girl I know who is all of 5' fits snuggly under her husband's arm pit, he's at least 6'6". So at first glance you might think, "they don't match" but then you get to know them and see how they do match and fit together.

Recently we hooked up with some friends who had moved to Colorado and they came for a visit. Now, Kyle and I are humorous folk, and just love to crack jokes and make others laugh. So, of course we had this couple laughing and they kept saying how they missed us, and wished we could still hang out together. Then one of them said, "You two sure do enjoy each other."

That got me thinking. I know I love Kyle, and that I'm in love with him. I miss him when he's gone and glad when he's back. I view us as a partnership with the household and our business venture. We work opposite schedules and don't get to see each other as often as other couples. We disagree on somethings and have different interests so that has the "opposites attract" thing in check. But that we 'enjoy one another' is true. We are comfortable with one another. We can be together talking or not talking and just enjoy the company. The comfort of knowing the other is there.

So to all those couples out there who may not "match" I just say, enjoy one another.

2 comments:

  1. i enjoy derek even though we have very few common interests. we are opposites attracted to eachother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, right? I wonder all the time how he got hooked up with her and what not. Many times I'll hear about a couple getting married and I think, "I would have never paired those two together." It's fun to see their dynamics though and see how happy they are together. It helps me realize I should never play matchmaker because I'm clueless.

    ReplyDelete