Monday, June 14, 2010

Internship

I got a call from Jordan School District asking if I was still interested in interviewing for an internship.  Even though that area is about 45 miles from my house, I hadn't been able to find anything closer, so I agreed to interview.  First I interviewed with a woman at the district office.  She then contacted the principal of the school where there was an opening to see if I could interview with him.  He did not have time that day, but would call me later that night.

So later that afternoon, I got a call from the principal.  We had a nice conversation about my past experience with the schools as a paraeducator.  He explained about his school and the various programs they had. They have a strong inclusion program between special ed. and general ed.  They have peer tutors, best buddies and are involved in Special Olympics.

At the end of the phone conversation he said that I was hired.  I asked, "Don't you want to interview me in person or is a phone interview good enough?"  He said that yes he still wants me to come in, not only to meet me, but for the rest of the special ed. team to talk with me.  We set up a time for my interview.

Then I went to the school.  I met with the principal, an assistant principal, and their director over special ed.  They asked me all sorts of questions, asked if I had any questions for them.  The principal really liked me and again told me I was hired if I still wanted the job.  While I am not looking forward to the commute, I felt like this school had a very strong program and that I would learn a great deal from them.  So I accepted the position.

The assistant principal took me on a tour of the school.  He talked a bit of the history and legacy of the school.  Oh, I guess I should mention the school, Bingham High School, in South Jordan.

3 comments:

  1. That is far away, but I am glad you got a great district and a job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do what we must do. Even though it seems like it is far away and perhaps you wish you could have a job closer...maybe you dodged a bullet and have been given a blessing instead. That's is what happened to me. I am grateful for what I have now, even though at the time I would have wished it different. Hang in there. We are so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete