Sunday, July 5, 2009

Scholarship

So I got a letter from BYU saying that I was nominated for the McKay School of Education Dean's Scholarship. HURRAY!!! The amount awarded is the cost of my tuition for Fall & Winter semesters. Kyle and I did a hooptie dance. "oh yeah! Uh-huh!" I had been trying to save for these upcoming semesters. I am entering the Special Education program. I have a lot more credit hours, which equates to more money needed for the higher tuition. I figured I'd still get my Pell Grant which helps. But the remaining tuition and cost of books...

Also, because of the times that some of my classes start I will need to leave work early. So now I not only have higher education costs, but lower paychecks coming in due to shortened work hours. Now I was going to have to worry also about my monthly expenses/bills.

But, the news of the scholarship has taken a load off. I won't need to come up with the tuition myself, I hopefully can use the Pell Grant for purchasing my text books and the money I had been saving I can use toward bills this fall.

The scholarship came with some stipulations like maintaining a 3.0 gpa, taking at least 12 credits each semester and submitting a letter of appreciation which I will be sending off tomorrow.

This news of scholarship couldn't come at a better time. We have been hit financially with the minivan breaking down (so now we don't have a working vehicle that fits all of us and we are deciding whether to fix it or buy a new one), and the water heater breaking down (which we just bought a new one from Home Depot) and now the dishwasher has broken down ( and we are on the look out for another one). Life is just a crap shoot isn't, full of ups and downs. This scholarship is certainly an up.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah....just when you get a little ahead, something happens. If it is stuff I try not to get too upset cause I know it could be a life and death situation instead and I am grateful it is just Things. But they are a bummer for sure.

    Congrats on the scholarship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't it nice when things fall into place? i'm talking about the scholarship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really great news. Now if everything else would just fall into place for you. Good luck with the van.

    ReplyDelete
  4. every year i keep saying, "if i can just get one more year outta this van..." when it rains it pours. sometimes i get stressed, and all i have to do is look around -- like the woman who had to get a full time job to qualify for the second mortgage they took out to bale their son out of jail and put him in rehab, and then sent her other son off on a mission 2 months later only to have first son fall off the wagon and thrown back in jail, and to then lose her job all together, which led to hubby working THREE jobs until just this past saturday when he was trimming his tree and fell out and cracked several ribs and facing severe long-term internal damage, and now wont be able to work ANY job for at least a few months... then I think, "My life is good."

    congrats on the scholarship. good luck with the van!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far we've been approved for a loan, so now it's just choosing which van.

    ReplyDelete