Thursday, March 11, 2010

Dinner with Dad (well, lunch, actually)

My father was in town on business. He's also been helping my sister with some home projects.  I was hoping that I would get a chance to visit with him, but I have classes in the evening until 7pm.  I am home sometimes in the mornings, but that's when he's working.

This morning I had plans to go to the temple with the Relief Society sisters.  I have some family file names that I am working on for my mother.  Just as I'm brushing my teeth and getting ready, my dad calls.  I answer but have to pause to spit out the toothpaste.  He said that it sounded like I had a mouthful of donuts.  Ha, Ha.

Anyway he wondered if I was available for lunch.  Of course I can squeeze him in for lunch.  I usually eat lunch with the sisters at the cafeteria in the temple after our session, but I can ditch them.  So he picked me up at the temple for lunch.

We decided to go someplace that I have never been, and to eat a food that I often don't get because my hubby and kids don't like it.  We went to a Chinese restaurant.

They bring you this hot pot of soup.  You get to choose some raw meats and veggies from the bar and cook them in your hot pot.  I had never done anything like this.  It was very good.  We got the hot & spicy soup.  We tried crab, shrimp, chicken, beef, pork, mussels, meatballs, fishballs, tofu, tofu skin, cabbage, zucchini, squash, bean sprouts, potatoes, seaweed, and mushrooms.  It was very tasty.  Except, I didn't eat the mushrooms or squash.  I thought that I would try a mussel, but backed out at the end.  The table next to us had dumplings.  We never got a menu so I didn't know that I could have ordered noodles and dumplings.  Next time I will try those.

Anyway, we also had rice, and there were some sauces we could use, a peanut sauce and a hot sauce.  Other things at the bar that you can use were noodles, broccoli, eggs, and lotus flowers.

They also had an ice cream buffet, which was good because after all that hot & spicy soup and sauces my nose was running and I was working up a sweat.  Then when they bring you your check, it comes with a little sesame seed candy.  It tasted like eating a Butterfinger but without the chocolate.

You can check out this restaurant here.

3 comments:

  1. I saw a restaurant like that on the Food Network but I've never been to one. It sounds so cool. I'm glad you were both able to squeeze each other in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never heard of a restaurant like that before. sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete