Friday, March 26, 2010

Recruitment Fair and District Showcase

So tonight I went to a Recruitment Fair and District Showcase.  There were representatives from various school districts in Utah to recruit new teachers.  This was for Special Education.  Most everyone from my cohort was there.  I went because I need to find a school for my internship.  If I were student teaching, BYU would pair me up with a school.  But since I am doing an internship, I need to find the job on my own if I can.  I will be paired up with a professor and a mentor teacher at the school where I will be hired.

I talked with three school districts that are my top priority; Nebo, Provo and Alpine.  Nebo is the Spanish Fork area.  This is the school district that I live in and that my kids attend.  Provo is where I worked as a Special Education Paraeducator for 12 years.  Alpine is north of Provo and is a big district.  Alpine has more job openings than the other two and has a higher starting wage.  The benefit of Nebo is I wouldn't have as far of a commute.  The benefits of Provo are that I know lots of people there and am already familiar with how that school district runs.

I also checked out some other school districts: Weber, Davis, Granite and Jordan.  I got lots of free stuff:  magnets, pens, a lunch box, candy, wooden box, pads of paper, water bottle, toys

There were also representatives there from Utah State University and Brigham Young University.  I got some information from BYU about their Master's program.  There were representatives for the Council for Exceptional Children.  I signed up for this, got to enter their raffle/drawing and I won a book.  Since I pre-registered for this event, I also got $25 as an incentive/bonus. 

They served a dinner there.  It was a great night.  I got lots of information, I was able to place a resume with my top 3 desired districts.  I even have an interview with one of them on Monday morning at 9am.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds great. I hope you get the internship you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck with all of that. i hope you get the one that will be the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your interview :) I hope you get it...if anyone does- you will!

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck with the interview! i know your 12 years of experience will pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, reminds me of when I sat in the auditorium and watched you perform, thinking...that's my girl. Way to go. You're on the right path.

    ReplyDelete