Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Resumes

I don't know how often you've had to write, update or revamp a resume, but that's what I've been doing this month.  I am preparing for a teacher fair, and a school district showcase.  I've download different resume templates trying to figure out which one I like best.  I had gone to a teacher fair prep workshop, took notes and am trying to get my resume to fit what those district people said that they look for when they are hiring. 

It is weird talking about myself and trying to showcase my skills and talents, and yet, trying to not sound boastful, or like I am padding my resume.  I mean, I'm all for being the center of attention, but...

I've changed my resume from showing my experience first to showing my education first.  That way they can see when I am graduating and from where.  I had put things in chronological order, and then I read somewhere that you can put your resume in reverse chronological to show growth.  So, I've done that.  So, instead of showing my first job first, and then the next job second, I am showing my current job now, then the previous job, and then the job before that. Whew!

Now, I have listed employers, job titles and job tasks.  I want to put in everything I've done to show my experience, but that seems wordy and takes more than one page (it is good to try to limit your resume to one page because a potential employer doesn't want to read a book about you right of the bat).  So, I've had to edit my experience and list things that I think will stand out, and really showcase my skills and talents.

I also read not to put, "references upon request" but to actually put some references on there.  So I contacted a few of my former bosses and coworkers to see if they would be a reference for me.  It seemed kind of awkward.  It is like asking, "Will you be my friend?"

Everyone I contacted said yes.  Yay, people like me, they really, really like me!

So I've got my one page resume.  Then at the workshop I was told to also have a resume packet.  What the he** is that?  This is something you might bring with you to an interview.  It is a cover letter explaining your interest in a certain job or position.  It is also a place where you can showcase more skills and talents or awards that you didn't put on your resume.  Then there is your resume, this can be one that is a little longer and more in depth.  And then a page of references and their contact information.  You can also include a picture of yourself.  So this is what I need to work on next.

After this, I need to start preparing for the forthcoming interviews.

2 comments:

  1. sounds good. it's nice to always have a current resumé.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think you'll have the interview part down no problem. Just flash them the old Miller smile. I think that your resume will impress them because you obviously put a lot of time and effort into it. I mean you actually went to a workshop and listened. I bet most people just use the template on Microsoft and call it good.

    ReplyDelete