Friday, September 4, 2009

Oh my aching back! legs, feet...

Well, I've finished my first week back at college.  I'm getting used to the different buildings where my classes are.  Some are in a different part of campus than where my other classes have been.  They are farther than what I am used to walking.  I've been rethinking of where to park.  The one parking lot that I used most is near the Marriott Center and Monte L. Bean Museum.  There are sets of stairs, but it is going downhill to classes.  I thought that this would be great because I wouldn't be out of breath for class, just when I return to my car.  That parking lot has construction going on around it cutting the lot in about half the size that it was.  So now it is full by the time I get there.

Wednesday I chose a different lot.  It is huge and about the same distance as the previous lot.  It is also packed, it seems everyone parks there.  This is near the physical education and recreation buildings.  There are also stairs, but these go uphill to campus.  OK, I'm trying to lose weight and what better way than the stairs to get the blood flowing?  HOLY COW there are a lot of stairs!  These stairs are steeper than the others and there are more of them.  I was a huffin' and a puffin' when I got to the top.  I knew I was out of shape, but that was ridiculous!

Thursday I chose another lot.  It is closer, and smaller, but at the end of campus where not many buildings are.  Again there were stairs and a ramp going uphill to campus.  I was still breathing hard at the top but not nearly as bad as the previous day's stairs.

I've been walking a pretty good pace on campus and taking stairs instead of the elevators.  I knew I would be doing a lot of walking so I bought a couple of pairs of shoes.  Since they are new my poor feet have blisters.  I hope they break in fast, I'm running out of Band-Aids.

For the past two years I've just had a book bag that I would carry or sling over my shoulder.  This year I have a backpack for all my books (more classes = more books) and I bought a laptop and actually this backpack came with it.  I am not used to the extra weight on my back (I usually carry all my weight in front).  So not only is this year going to be challenging mentally with more classes and a heavier homework load, but also physically with the walking and carrying/packing.

The only consolation I can take is that hopefully at the end of this experience I will come out smarter and slimmer.

4 comments:

  1. "that's sounds pretty good"- kip dynamite

    ReplyDelete
  2. just come out ALIVE.

    get really comfy shoes and get MOLE SKIN to put over the blisters, bandaids are good emough for the amount you walk.

    Get shoes that will stand up to the weather.

    (off soap box now)

    Good luck, keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, just dropped by your blog, sounds like a hectic week back to school! Check out my blog, I'm new to this blogger thing, but I'm sure I'll pick up a thing or two. I'm testing myself as a guinea pig to my own diet so it could possibly have some comical relief lol. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, this is one of those experiences where you feel young again because you're going to school and doing all that college stuff but then you also feel really old because you aren't as fit as you used to be and you can't remember something that you know you knew years ago.

    ReplyDelete