Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Traditions

My family has been talking about traditions for Christmas.  I thought I would put my two cents in.

1.  Christmas tree.  Growing up we had a 3 ft. plastic tree.  Since I've been married, we've always gotten a real tree.  Sure the first few years the tree was like Charlie Brown's tree.

2.  Ornaments.  we generally have the same color scheme for our tree each  year.  We use a string of bead as the garland.  The lights are colored lights.  The ornaments are a mixture of red and gold.  There are also Hallmark ornaments.  See, as a teenager I worked at a Drugstore that sold Hallmark ornaments.  I love to collect teddy bears, so I began purchasing teddy bear Hallmark ornaments.  My husband gets me one each year as my stocking stuffer.  He likes cars, so I get him an American Classic Car ornament each year for his stocking stuffer.

3.  Decorations.  I remember some of the little Christmas tchotchkes that my mother had that would be placed around the living room.  My favorite was Mr. & Mrs. Claus kissing.  I too have knick knacks that I put around the house.  I group them.  So there is a tree section, a snowman section, a Santa section, an angel section and two nativities.  One nativity is the nice one that is put out of reach of little hands.  Then I have a wooden kid-friendly nativity that is put within reach. Also, each of my groupings have books that go with them.

4.  Stockings.  I made our stockings after Zane was born.  I of course had to make more once Cooper and Chloe were born.  The stockings are made of felt and are fur-lined around the top.  I hang them from some posts that divide the living room and family room.

5.  Presents.  Kyle and I try to stick to a certain dollar amount to spend for each of the kids.  Depending on what they have asked for, and within the confines of the set $ limit, the kids will get one or multiple gifts.  They also get gifts from their grandparents.  On occasion they'll get something from their cousins or aunts & uncles.   For the ones that come in the mail, they go under the tree.  I know the kids would rather open them as they come.  But then they wouldn't have as many to open on Christmas Day.  We also open the gifts youngest to oldest just as I did as a kid.

6.  Cards.  I like to get and send Christmas cards.  Sometimes I include a newsletter.  There have been some years where I don't get that many cards.  I wonder if it is a dying art.  I always send a card because you have to get to give.  Also, I have friends, former neighbors or coworkers with whom I want to keep in contact.  Sometimes, the Christmas card is the only communication we'll have, unless one of us has a baby or has moved.  I post my Christmas cards around the entry way that separates the living room and family room.  My mother did this too.  Her cards would be posted around an entryway, archway or doorway depending on the house we lived in.

7.  Meals.  I am often the first one awake on Christmas morning.  I don't want to just go around waking everyone up just because I am anxious to open presents.  I want them to naturally wake up.  I am surprised that they aren't already up.  So, to lure them out of bed I start cooking breakfast.  I hope to awake their sense with smells of bacon, eggs, and hash browns.  I also make breakfast for them to eat something nutritious before they just binge on candy from their stocking.  We also make a nice Christmas dinner.  This is usually a ham or turkey. I like to set the table with china and crystal.  Last year Kyle got me some nice flatware.

8.  Snacks.  I like to make some snacks to give to the neighbors.  The kids will help me make Christmas cookies.  This year I am making fruit cocktail cake.  The neighbors also give us some holiday snacks.  So far this year we've gotten cinnamon rolls, carmel corn and toffee.  I have a neighbor who is from England.  She has given us mincemeat mini pies.

9.  Christmas Day.  So we wake up, eat breakfast, open presents, check our stockings and then just hang out.  We spend the day playing with our toys, playing games, playing in the snow, and taking naps.  We will make calls to the grandparents to thank them for the gifts, and to see what they got.

10.  Faux Christmas.  Now, since my family is spread throughout the country we can't all get together for Christmas.  My parents will travel to make the rounds to visit all of their children.  So they usually come to Utah the first or second weekend of December.  We gather at my sister's house and eat a nice meal, open presents, play games and have a nice visit.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so cute! These deserve some photos. Maybe someday when I have a family I can get it to run like clock work like this too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun! i get treats from neighbors, but i get the quirky christmas gifts too... (a lightbulb "may your christmas be merry and BRIGHT", etc.)

    ReplyDelete