Thursday, December 17, 2009

I say it's my Birthday! Happy Birthday to me!



One year older and wiser too.

So, today is my birthday.  I am 37 years old.  I can hardly believe it.  I don't mind saying my age out loud.  I'm not one of those people who are 21 or 29 for 15 years.  I like to say my age because I look younger than what I am.  One good thing that I got from my mother was good skin.  Oh, and the good sense to use sunscreen and not fake-bake.  I also have the good sense to not smoke.  Tanning and smoking are wrinkle makers.  I do have some wrinkles.  My laugh lines. If I wasn't such a humorous person, but had a serious, stoic personality I wouldn't even have those wrinkles.

My classmates are always shocked when they find out how old I am.  They swear I look 25 years old.  They say I don't look like I am old enough to have four children already, much less that my eldest child is 16 years old.

I like birthdays.  It is the one day you don't need to feel selfish of being self-centered.  Hey everybody, look at me!  It's my birthday!  There are those people who never mention their birthday and hope that it passes just like any other day.  Not me.  I want to be showered with congratulations, attention, and gifts.  I will mention my upcoming birthday in casual conversation.  While going over the calendar with my students I would mention my birth date and how I like chocolate and teddy bears.

This year my birthday got celebrated early.  Kyle bought me an mp3 player for our Thanksgiving trip.  Then last weekend he took me out to eat at Gloria's Little Italy.  I love pasta.  Kyle, not so much, but he puts up with it once a year for my birthday.

My parents gave me perfume and sent me an e-card.  I have received many birthday greetings on my Facebook page from former high school classmates, my friends, family and coworkers.  Kyle promises me that he will give me a card today.  I hope there is a cake or some chocolate eclairs to go along with it.

2 comments:

  1. i also feel no need to lie about my age. i know that i am only 29 so i'm still a youngin', but i also pass for younger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget the movies.. Or did I not give you the movies. Maybe I kept the movies for myself, Maybe I just Thought I gave you movies. Maybe you have too many movies that you don't need any more. Maybe you like the perfume best of all and the movies are humdrum. There are a lot of maybes in there. Hope you have a wonderful day. Even though I am old, people don't think I am old enough to have a daughter who is 37... doesn't that just get you, hahahahahaha, Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete